19 June 2011

Slimmed Down Blueberry Muffins

To me, fresh blueberries encompass the taste of summer. I try to utilize them in as many recipes as I can, but in my new quest for calorie reduction, I've been a little hesitant to indulge in much baking. When I came across this recipe in Fitness Magazine, I knew it was a must-try. The result was a delicious cacophony of bursting berries in a moist and slightly sweet shell. I'll definitely be sticking with this recipe! 


2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt             
½ cup light margarine
¼ cup honey
1 cup Splenda
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup low-fat milk
1 cup fresh blueberries 

Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven. Preheat to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, beat margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add Splenda and honey, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each until blended. Stir in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, until completely combined. Gently fold in blueberries with a spoon.

Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling about ¾ of the cup. Bake 20-22 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and cool.