04 January 2011

"No Chunks" Tomato Sauce

As you will soon discover, I am not a fan of "chunky" food. I prefer pureed soups and sauces and my recipes often reflect this. As always, if you prefer a different texture or flavor, suit your cuisine to your own tastes. If you are a chunk lover, I would recommend using a combination of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes instead. While I would love to say that I use whole, fresh tomatoes and cook them all day long, I don't. This sauce is quick to throw together and cans of tomato sauce cost approximately 89 cents. I use it as a foundation for many recipes - add meat (hamburger or sausage) for a quick spaghetti sauce, or use it for a base for chicken parmesan or lasagna. 


1 large can tomato sauce (28 oz)
1 T. Italian seasoning*
1 T. basil
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup red wine
3 T. grated parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cover to prevent splashing and cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring frequently. The longer it simmers, the more intense the flavor. Adjust spices as needed.

*Spice measurements are estimated - taste and adjust to your preference